Seminars, colloquia and special lectures feed the department with new ideas and perspectives. Speakers from other universities, industry, and other departments at Rice bring fresh insights into the problems our faculty and students are addressing in their research. Weekly colloquia give graduate students the chance to present their work and practice their speaking skills.
- Colloquia & Special Lectures
- Shell Lecture Series
- Peaceman Lectures on Numerical Mathematics
- Graduate Seminars
- Thesis Defenses
In Fall 2020, colloquia will not be held at 3:00 PM in Duncan Hall room 1064 as previous semesters. Online presentations in the form of Webinars are being considered and may take place at 4:00 PM on Mondays. Please stay tuned.
- 7: Labor Day Holiday - No Classes
- 19: Phuong Hoang
- 2: Sara Pollock
- 9: Diane Guignard
The Shell Lectures in the Department of Computational and Applied Mathematics are made possible through the generous support of the Shell Oil Company and focus on topics related to the energy industry.
Past Shell Lecturers
- December 2, 2019 Chengkun Huang
- February 11, 2019 Rich Lehoucq
- November 19, 2018 Sigal Gottlieb
- March 21, 2018 William W. Symes
- February 5, 2018 Mark H. Carpenter
- March 6, 2017 Alexander Martin
- September 26, 2016 Blaise Bourdin
- April 6, 2016 Susanne C. Brenner
- March 28, 2014 Constantine Caramanis
- October 8, 2014 Yalchin Efendiev
- September 23, 2014 Maarten V. de Hoop
- April 7, 2014 Luciano Castillo
- March 24, 2014 Jean-Francois Remacle
- November 18, 2013 Clint Dawson
- March 11, 2013 Michael Ferris
- February 18, 2013 Rainer Helmig
- April 16, 2012 Malgorzata Peszynska
- February 21, 2011 Knut Solna
- April 30, 2010 Bjorn Engquist
- April 10, 2009 Graeme Milton
- January 22, 2009 Andrew Stuart
- March 28, 2008 Beatrice Riviere
- March 17, 2008 Josselin Garnier
- April 2, 2007 Laurent Demanet
- March 26, 2007 Beatrice Riviere
- March 14, 2007 Andreas Griewank
Dr. Donald Peaceman (1926-2017) was a Houston-based pioneer in the numerical solution of partial differential equations and the simulation of reservoir flow. His generosity has enabled the Department of Computational and Applied Mathematics at Rice University to initiate an annual lecture series on applied and computational mathematics.
In early 2009, CAAM established the Peaceman Lectures on Numerical Mathematics to honor Dr. Peaceman's many contributions to our subject and generous support of our department, and to offer a venue for exceptional young mathematicians. The Peaceman Lectures will continue to showcase "rising stars" in numerical mathematics in the years to come.
Past Peaceman Lecturers
- October 28, 2019: Kevin Carlberg
- November 12, 2018: Edmond Chow
- February 22, 2016: Aria Abubakar
- January 27, 2014: Lek-Heng Lim
- November 19, 2012: Jan S. Hesthaven
- September 26, 2011: Karen Wilcox
- February 08, 2010: Yalchin Efendiev
- February 09, 2009: Laurent Demanet
Open to only members of the CAAM department; graduate seminars will take place this semester via Zoom.
- 26: GRADS Only
- 2: Short Talks on CAAM Research Projects
- 9: Short Talks on CAAM Research Projects Part II
- 16: CAAM Grad Student and Postdoc Diversity Luncheon
- 23: Christina Taylor
There are no thesis defenses scheduled at this time.